Financial Aid

/Financial Aid
Financial Aid 2018-03-23T11:49:09+00:00

RMUoHP participates in the Federal Direct Student Loan (Stafford/PLUS) program (commonly referred to as federal student loans) offered through the US Department of Education (ED). Eligibility for federally-funded financial aid is established by the US Department of Education regulations. All of RMUoHP’s graduate programs are eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans.

RMUoHP offers two different types of Direct Stafford Loans: Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS. Unsubsidized loans disbursed between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018 will accrue interest at a rate of 6%. Eligible students can receive up to $10,250 of unsubsidized funds per term. These funds will go towards tuition and fees. If there are any residual funds, you have the option to receive them or return them to ED. Grad PLUS loans disbursed between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018 will accrue interest at 7%. The amount of Grad PLUS loans students can receive depends on their FAFSA information and program’s Cost of Attendance (COA).

Federal Loans must be repaid. Interest rates are low and repayment begins six months after graduation or if students withdraw from courses for all Stafford loans. Students are encouraged to borrow no more than they need to complete their educational program.

Applying for an unsubsidized loan consists of four (4) main steps:

  • Completion of the FAFSA:
    • If you are beginning classes before June 30, 2018 you will need a 2017-2018 FAFSA on file (you will need your 2015 tax information)
    • If you are beginning classes after July 1, 2018 you will need a 2018-2019 FAFSA on file (you will need your 2016 tax information)
    • Residential students are encouraged to complete both the 2017-2018 & 2018-2019 FAFSA’s (you will need your 2015 & 2016 tax information)
    • RMUoHP’s school code is: G41932
  • Completion of Entrance Counseling
    • This is done through the site. You will need your FSA ID to enter
  • Signing of a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
    • This is an agreement that you will repay the funds you borrow from ED
    • This only needs to be done once during your enrollment (MPN’s are valid for ten (10) years)
  • Submission of the Direct Loan Request form
    • Student’s packages will not be processed until the Financial Aid Office has received a signed Direct Loan Request form
    • Electronic forms for Entry-Level Students can be found here
    • Electronic forms for Post-Professional Students can be found here

Applying for a Grad PLUS loan requires completion of all the steps required for the unsubsidized loan, and the addition of the steps listed below:

  • Completion of a Grad PLUS Application
    • This is done through the site. You will need your FSA ID to enter
  • Signing of a PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN)
    • Yes, you’ll need an additional MPN if you choose to apply for a PLUS loan
  • Submission of the Direct Loan Request form
    • Entry-Level students do not need to submit an additional form. The PLUS information is already listed
    • Post-Professional Students can retrieve the Grad PLUS Direct Loan Request form here
    • Student’s packages will not be processed until the Financial Aid Office has received a signed Direct Loan Request form

If you have questions regarding the cost of your education, please contact the Financial Aid Office at [email protected].

The following may be helpful resources as you look at applying for financial aid:

  • Student Aid on the Web – – Find detailed information on Federal Student Aid programs; research school and career choices; learn about the entire federal student aid process, eligibility, and the application process; and access other Federal Student Aid websites and publications online.
  • FAFSA on the Web – – Apply for the federal student aid online using FAFSA on the Web (the online version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA).
  • Military – – If you are in the armed forces or have a family member in the service, visit this site to find out more about grants, repayment, and forgiveness options.
  • National Student Loans Data System (NSLDS) – – Use your FSA ID, to access all your federal student loan records and obtain contact information on your loan servicer.
The information below addresses students’ frequently asked questions regarding disbursements. Questions regarding Federal Financial Aid disbursements may be directed to the Financial Aid Office at [email protected] or 801.734.6788.

Disbursement is the process of turning your Financial Aid offer into an actual payment to the University. You must meet all eligibility requirements in order for the Financial Aid Office to request a disbursement of funds. If you owe current term debt to RMUoHP, all Financial Aid funds will be applied to that debt first and any remaining balance will be issued to you.
Financial Aid disbursement dates may vary for each student and can be delayed for different reasons. Your Financial Aid is awarded and disbursed by term—Winter, Summer, Fall—and is disbursed after a term begins. Students will receive an email from the Finance Office when their disbursement has arrived to the University. If the student is going to receive a refund, the email will contain the date the funds will be deposited into the requested account and the amount of the refund.
Federal Student Loans carry up-front administrative charges from the Department of Education (origination fees). These charges are deducted from your award pre-disbursement.
If your Financial Aid award exceeds the total charges for tuition and fees, you will be issued a Disbursement Refund within 14 days of the date that the funds arrive at the University. Direct Deposit is the only method used to issue a Disbursement Refund. We must have a signed Direct Deposit Authorization Form on file to process your refund.
Refunds will only be processed using Direct Deposit. The email notification from the finance office will specify what date the refund will be processed, but it is usually within 5 business days. If you do not receive the refund in your account, you can contact the Finance Office at 801.375.5125 Option 5.

Financial Aid Team

The Financial Aid Office at RMUoHP strives to provide the highest quality service to graduate and professional students in pursuit of their academic goals. We serve as the primary advocate for students and families, assisting them in securing necessary financial resources. We will utilize our expert knowledge to update our technologies, streamline processes, maintain full compliance with Federal mandates, and effectively manage financial aid resources. We are committed to providing exemplary service to our students, families the University community and the community at large. Our philosophy is service.

Maria SagerFinancial Aid Director
Alex JacksonSenior Financial Aid Advisor
(Last Name: A – K)
Email | Phone: 801-734-6788
Krista McEntireFinancial Aid Advisor
(Last Name: L – Z)
Email | Phone: 385-375-8797
Joe ColfleshScholarships / VA Benefits / SCO
Mary Ah MuFinancial Aid Assistant

Financial Aid is intended to help with your education-related expenses. It is not intended to meet the total cost of your living expenses, but is designed to supplement them.

Student Exit Counseling

Students who have borrowed Federal Stafford or Federal Graduate PLUS Loans are required to complete Exit Counseling prior to graduating or withdrawing. Also, if you drop below half-time, you must complete Exit Counseling.

Federal Stafford and/or Federal Graduate PLUS Loan borrowers:

  1. Click here to begin Exit Counseling if you borrowed Federal Stafford and/or Federal Graduate PLUS funds while at RMUoHP. One exit counseling session will satisfy the requirements for both of these loan types. Note: Federal Stafford and Federal Graduate PLUS Loan borrowers must complete their Exit Counseling online through NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System).
  2. Once on the website, click the “Start” button and follow the instructions. Be sure to select the RMUoHP’s school code. Once finished, you will be required to complete biographical information that will be transmitted electronically to the school and your loan guarantor or loan servicer. Be sure to print the confirmation page you will receive at the end of the online counseling.
  3. You must complete this counseling within 30 days from receiving email notification. You will need your FSA ID to log into NSLDS. If you have lost or forgotten your FSA ID, you may apply for another at

Disclaimer: Nothing on this website should be construed as authoritative financial advice. Your circumstances are unique and you may want to consult a financial advisor. The author of this website is not a financial advisor.

Toggle Sliding Bar Area
RMUoHP Webstudy