The Master of Science in Health Science is an online, 30 credit, graduate program for bachelors prepared individuals who are looking to begin or advance their healthcare careers through graduate education in the specialties of Sport Performance or Rehabilitative Science. The program provides an excellent foundation for those interested in doctoral education or becoming specialized practitioners. Those interested in continued graduate study have the option to complete a master’s thesis, and for those more interested in the applied setting can complete a non-thesis, Capstone Project. Our program combines innovation and evidence-based practice to advance students scholarly and professionally.
Key Master of Science in Health Science program features:
- A flexible online learning schedule that allows you to balance your home and professional commitments
- A program that prepares you to be a leader in your field
- An education that also prepares you for professional advancement and career mobility.
The central element of the program is the completion of a thesis or capstone project that incorporates best practice and knowledge in the area of the concentration. Exercise physiology, strength and conditioning, nutrition, injury prevention and recognition courses provide a complimentary foundation. The curriculum is designed to increase the student’s abilities to identify best practice built on evidence-based decision-making. The pedagogy emphasis affords students an interactive environment focusing on the designing of learning for individuals across the lifespan. The program is designed for students to continue professional work obligations during the 12- month didactic portion of the program while completing three semesters. There are two options to complete each degree program: A Capstone project or a Master’s Thesis. The Capstone project is scheduled to be completed and defended during the fourth semester and the Master’s Thesis to be completed over the fourth and fifth semester’s of the program. The oral defense of both options can be completed on-campus or online.
The MS in Health Science program is committed to the development of an individual who can:
- Integrate current literature and evidence-based practices into assessment and professional practice.
- Develop learner-centered instruction and instructional delivery skills based upon evidence-based practices.
- Effectively evaluate and utilize appropriate research methodology, data and decision making.
- Modify strategies to optimize changing professional environments.
- Demonstrate knowledge and management of ethical and legal expectations and professional practice behaviors.
- Develop knowledge expertise in the area of professional interest.
The Master of Science in Health Science (Rehabilitative Science) program provides the opportunity for each student to become a leading practitioner in Rehabilitative Sciences. Graduates of the MSHS (Rehabilitative Science) program will be expected to demonstrate competence relative to the following goals:
- Integrate current literature and evidence-based practices into professional practice.
- Plan and design preventative sports injury programs founded upon evidence based practices.
- Demonstrate an evidence based approach to differential diagnosis of orthopedic injuries.
- Utilize an anatomical physiological movement framework in the management of musculoskeletal injuries to physically active individuals.
- Use critical thinking skills to identify and prescribe appropriate rehabilitative modalities for physically active populations.
- Understand the unique role and contribution to rehabilitation science (e.g., athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation counseling).
- Critically evaluate and synthesize research in rehabilitation science.
- Design and deliver scholarly presentations and facilitate effective discussions.
- Disseminate research and other scholarly products/manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals and other venues appropriate to the field of rehabilitation science.
ADVANCE MY EDUCATION
Complete the form below to receive more information.